1. Hair must be 1/4 of an inch long. This is usually 3-4 weeks of growth after shaving.
2. Exfoliate, getting rid of dead cells blocking pores and hair follicles to provide an easier exit for your hair. Shower and lightly exfoliate your entire bikini area the day before your appointment using warm water to reduce the risk of irritation.
3. Particularly for women: Ladies, your skin is most sensitive during the time near your period. Waxing can be more painful than normal, so your appointment shouldn't be any closer than 5 days before or after your cycle. Please note you can still wax if you are on your period.
4. Reduce Acidity: Smoking and regular caffeine and alcohol consumption create a lot of acid in the body. You may benefit from taking Tums 20 minutes prior to your waxing service to reduce your acidity levels, therefore potentially reducing skin sensitivity.
5. Pain Preventatives: If you experience pain or may be concerned about pain associated with waxing take an Ibuprofen or Advil 30-45 minutes prior to your waxing service.
In the first 24-48 hours you may experience skin sensitivity including redness or irritation in the area that was waxed. These reactions are normal and they usually lessen the longer you wax. Here are some tips to follow during the first 48-hours prior to waxing services:
1. Do not use any exfoliating products, especially products containing acid, as this will further irritate your skin.
2. Avoid heavy exercise for 24 hours
3. Do not expose treated area to ultra-violet rays, indoor or outdoor. For your protection, you should always wear sunscreen.
4. Showers are better than baths, use only lukewarm water, not HOT!
5. No saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools, or other intense heat sources.
6. To avoid ingrown hairs, avoid tight clothing
7. Resist touching freshly waxed skin, especially on the face, as this may lead to further irritation and breakouts
8. Sexual activity should be avoided for at least 24-48 hours
9. Starting 48-hours after treatment, start exfoliating the waxed areas 2-3 times a week to prevent ingrown hairs.